Friday, January 13, 2017

Week One Blog Post

Topic One: My First News Story
My first news story is about the Young Democrats Club. I have three sources that I will use for my story. The first source is Dr. Robert Harrison, who is the head advisor of the club. The second source I will utilize will be the class president. The third source I will use will be a regular member of the club.

The five questions I will have answered are; What motivated them to start the Young Democrats Club? The second question will be about their reasoning for disbanding the Democracy Club and founding the Young Democrats Club in its place. The third question I will have answered is how many members does the club currently have? The fourth question I will ask is if they have aspirations of growing the club, and if so, how? The fifth and final question I will get answered is what events are they planning in the coming week's?

Topic Two: About You
I enrolled in JN216-News-Reporting because I am a journalism major, as well as a history major. I am interested in learning about how journalism is conducted, most specifically on how journalists embedded in war-zones deal with the danger that can confront them while still carrying out their mission of reporting the news.

Outside of school, my major interest and hobby revolves around sports, most specifically: baseball, hockey, football and basketball, with my interest in each in that order. I love baseball for many reasons. One major reason why I am so obsessed with baseball has to do with all of the different  statistics such as batting average and Wins Above Replacement Player (WAR) that you can pore over to extract information from game-to-game and even season-to-season. Also I love the history of baseball, from its founding during the 1840's all the way to current day. In fact, I own over 250  books about baseball, most of which center around the great history of this seminal sport.

Topic Three: Your Three Goals
I have three main goals that I hope to accomplish during my tenure in JN216. The first goal is to develop reliable sources that can give me an heads up about a developing news situation. The second goal is to learn how to master the art of brevity, I often have trouble with that. My third and final goal I hope to accomplish while in JN216 is how to conduct professional and informative interviews.

No comments:

Post a Comment